Thursday 4 July 2013

Glass Half Full

Planning a trip like ours is challenging. For the years I've spent loosely and grandly imagining it in my mind, I've had no budget, journey length or destination. Its always been everything, everywhere, for ages. You may question if that is planning at all.

My ideas about this trip of a lifetime were similar to my ideas about life, aged 14. I didn't know how or when it would happen, but I knew everything would come together magically. But, as you gut wrenchingly come to understand, life isn't like that. It seems my Dad does know what he's talking about after all.

Well, I've made several realisations.... I don't have all the money in the world to travel for as long as I want, to every corner of the globe. And, more importantly, I have to take somebody else's thoughts and feelings into consideration. This is a first.

After coming down to reality, planning has come on a treat. I'm already so impressed that we've gone from having a continent in mind, South America, to pinpointing countries, cities, destinations and things! We know the Brazilian coastline and the peaks of Bolivia better than the streets of Chorlton at this point.

We have a (loose) budget in mind, (rough) dates for each country and a plan to work for an extended period (kind of)!

I've been following the adventures of Tom and Sarah at Never Ending Voyage, a site Oliver stumbled upon whilst looking for budgeting tips. This couple met and lived in Manchester too, but they've decided to sell everything they own and leave to travel forever. They have the advantage of a house they rent out while away, and a web design business they can work at on the go. They saved money and set off, and they have an income whilst away. It's my absolute dream.

I know I don't have the same luxuries, so it's sometimes been a challenge to focus on the trip I am doing, instead of the places I'm not going to see. I'm guilty of being a bit glass half empty at times.

Perspective is one of the biggest lessons I've learned recently. It can make such a difference to your happiness. I'm learning to let go of what's not happening and allow myself to be smug and enjoy exactly what is happening.

I was such a painful show off as a child and teenager. I still am, at heart. But I've been caught out on so many occasions that I am now very aware of sharing news. I shy away from status updates. I prefer a face to face confessional. This blog is really my own constructed show off. So I'm happy to gush about this trip. I really am so excited.

I'm excited to be joyfully unemployed in the sunshine. I'm excited to eat and drink and sleep and walk in a new town every week. I'm excited to have no Sky TV, no house and no bills! These are the positives, these are the things I AM DOING. It's worth remembering I'll be too busy to consider the things I'm not doing.

I just really like this picture...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 GingeFringe, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena